Monday 30 July 2007

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

It having been a while since I read the book, I was able to approach this film with a less clouded mind and judge it on it own merits. I enjoy the rebellious spirit of Harry and friends, but I didn't feel as though this film was the prerequisite amount darker that its predecessor. Yes, Harry suffers deep emotional crises, but his enemies are still two dimensional and evil. The underlying theme I read into this film is of Harry struggling with his own anger. At the end he is indicated to have overcome this with him thinking happy thoughts and telling Voldemort that he pities him. And yet there is scorn in his voice when he does so, not pity. It seems to be that the message is that evil people are those who have succumbed to their anger whilst the good keep theirs in check.

I suffer from the illusion that life is more complex than this; some do what many consider wrong in a clear state of mind not clouded by anger. Perhaps the biggest evil is the level headed judgement of cause and effect, profit and loss, greatest good for the greatest number.

No comments: