Sunday 19 August 2007

Savings accounts, current accounts and moving money

It frustrates me moving money between bank accounts to get better interest. I understand the reason i.e. you're being paid for the illiquidity of your cash in the savings account, but I'd prefer not to have the hassle.

I suggest having all your money in one account, but being able to "lock" a certain portion of it for a certain length of time (i.e. unable to use without a fee). The interest rate you get is proportional to the amount you have "locked". This way banks get their cash to play with, and I get my interest.

Obviously, this would only really work well with online accounts where it's easy to log in an "lock" your money. The bank site could have a bar chart showing each portion that is locked, what date it is locked to, and the interest rate it is getting.

No comments: