Saturday 14 August 2010

Auto optical disk backup

Backing up is essential, but it can also be laborious. For backing up to optical disk (CD or DVD) the process is very manual and requires the following steps: go and fetch optical disk; open optical disk drive; insert disk; close disk drive; run backup software; open disk drive; remove disk; close disk drive; store disk.

I would like to have a backup device that is remote from my computer (and connected over the home network either wired or wirelessly) and can house a stack of blank disks. In response to my backup schedule my backup software would automatically send the data to be backed up to this device, which writes the data to a disk. Periodically (at an interval of my chosing), the backup software would remind me to put the outputted disks from the backup device into storage.

The device could also function as a multiCD burner if you wanted to burn lots of optical disks or a mulitCD ripper if you wanted to rip lots of optical disks.

No comments: